Energy Assessments of Community Facilities in County Leitrim
In October 2012, Leitrim Development Company appointed WESTBIC Business & Innovation Centre through a tendering process to undertake the following works:
- Undertake an Energy Assessment and Report for a number of community facilities in Leitrim
- Make recommendations on how to reduce energy costs and improve energy efficiency for each community facility, including a focus on the potential to include renewable/sustainable energy solutions
- Provide cost estimates for proposed solutions and analysis of potential payback / return on investment for each project/proposal
- Work with individual groups to assess financial resources available / sources of finance, project affordability and business modelling for solutions offered
- Provide guidance with grant funding applications, where appropriate, towards the capital costs of implementing proposed solutions identified.
Cloone Community Centre, Cloone, County Leitrim (one of the 17 community facilities taking part in the Energy Assessments of Community Facilities project)
Through an initial consultation process a total of 17 community facilities signed up to have energy assessments conducted and to avail of the additional support with applications for funding.
The project was grant aided as an analysis and development project under the Conservation & Upgrading of Rural Heritage measure at a rate of 90%. Each individual community building provided the 10% match funding for this project.
This project was essentially about raising awareness of energy efficiency and renewable energy but also to make community facilities more sustainable. Through awareness raising and conducting individual energy assessments on each facility we hope that it will reduce the financial burden on community groups who are paying more that they should in most cases for electricity and heating in particular.
One community group stated
“This project has really opened our eyes to the importance of adopting energy efficient techniques and its potential to cut our costs at a time where our resources are being increasingly stretched. The additional support with LEADER application planning will also be a great help to us as we are eager to implement the recommendations made in our assessment report. We are so thankful that Leitrim Development Company approached us with the proposal for this innovative project and we are without doubt that it will have great benefits for us and our community centre.”