LDCs in the Community
Local Development Companies work at three levels
- Providing supports for community groups, networks and forums.
- Direct organisation of community events and initiatives.
- Supporting communities to become involved in decision making on their local area and the issues that affect them.
Examples of the forms which this work can take:
- Training and capacity building for community groups
- Administration and technical support for community groups in areas such as HR and Finance.
- Facilitating community meetings and consultations to involve local people in decision making.
- Preparation of Local Development Strategies through consultation with communities.
- Connecting community groups through the organisation of community platforms and networks.
- Active citizenship and voter education programmes.
- Support for projects to improve the local environment such as community gardens.
- Support for projects to improve community facilities such as playgrounds and community centres.
- Staffing of community facilities and centres through work placement schemes managed by the local development company.
- Support for volunteering in the community.